The Leh–Manali road is a highway in northernmost part of India which connects Leh in Ladakh (Jammu and Kashmir) ) to Manali (Himachal Pradesh) ) while dissecting the tough and tricky terrain.The best part is the highway is filled with signboards which are bound to make you giggle and chuckle while conveying serious driving advice without appearing too preachy. The roads are constructed and maintained by Border Roads Organisation which has come up with these ingenious messages in sync with the relaxed mood of the tourists. Sample a few of the funny and witty highway sign boards on the Leh-Manali route that will make you laugh until your jaw hurts.
1 One signboard says “Be gentle on my curves”. This board is subtly hinting to the drivers to maneuver the treacherous turns in a gentle way which will make you laugh while driving.
2) The second sign board says “Darling I want you but not so fast” which makes people chuckle. This board basically warns the drivers against crossing the speed limit on the unpredictable mountain roads.
3) Another one is a sweet little board which mentions “Mountains are a pleasure, only if you drive with leisure”.
4) The fourth signboard says “Impatient on road, patient in the hospital.” This pun makes people laugh out loud and this is one that stays with you for a long time.
5) The one which says “Accidents are prohibited on this road” is the one that should be on every single road.
6) The sixth one says “Do your dozing in your bed.” Which makes it difficult not to grin.
7) The seventh sign board imparts another pearl of wisdom “Drive on horsepower, not on rum power” to the drivers who think there is nothing wrong with drink driving.
8) The eighth sign board casually puts a cute spin on a routine “don’t drink and drive” sign board by saying “Put fuel in the vehicle, not booze into you.”
9) For the people who like to push themselves to the limit by not taking enough rest and driving while feeling sleepy, here comes a stark warning in the garb of humor “If you sleep, your family will weep.”
10) When a board says ”Sorry for ooh, aah, ouch. Inconvenience regretted “ before a bumpy road begins, you can’t help smiling even if your body is complaining.
Now you have one more reason to plan the spectacular Leh- Manali road trip which is a work of Art, designed by nature and fulfilled by mankind. To book your tickets to Leh-Ladakh, click here.